Working in the Finance Department under the direct supervision of the Finance Officer and Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant will be responsible for cash and bank transactions management, compliance, maintaining proper and well organized finance documents, the processing and recording of payment transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
S/he is responsible for maintaining an updated document tracker for all documents coming to finance for review and Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Program management
• Prepare checks or wire transfer payments based on fully approved documents and present them to final authorizers for EFTs
• Receive all documentation from other departments for finance review and assign them to respective finance reviewers as per AAM.
• Coordinate with field finance teams and ensure receipt of weekly FC transaction files for review and posting
• Ensure Kampala Cash is well managed including petty cash replenishments, Cash counts and safety guidelines adhered to.
• Perform accurate Weekly and end month cash counts and reconciliations for Kampala cash transactions
• Ensuring that all supplier payments have receipts acknowledging payment attached to them in a timely manner.
• Ensure that compliance to the Approval levels of all supporting documents (quotation analysis, POs, PRs, Payment requests) before proceeding to make a payment
• Making entry of Cash transactions, purchase Invoices(PIs) and General Journals (GJs) in the Accounting Software for review by the FO and posting.
• Prepare and compile End of Month Package to make it ready for sending to Headquarters for month closing.
• Managing bank relations and ensuring any changes are updated timely for smooth running of the finance function.
• Stamping of All transactions for Kampala office with PAID and CLEARED stamp respectively as per requirement.
• Compile copies of vouchers and other supporting documentation as may be required for Audit.
• Refiling documentation after Audits
• Preparation and submission of Donor VAT reports.
• File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain systematic voucher filing system, well labelled such that files are clearly identifiable.
• Maintaining an updated advance register for Kampala office and ensuring that employee advances are cleared within the limits of MC advance policy.
• Offer prompt support and backstopping to field finance, other finance assistants whenever required.
• Support new Finance Team members settle in by providing necessary logistics for their work
• Any other tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Knowledge and Experience
• Two or more years of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience.
• A degree in accounting/Finance or a relevant business field is desirable, with or pursuing a professional course is an added advantage.
• Extensive knowledge of financial management and accounting
• Strong analytical skills including attention to details are essential
• Demonstrated experience and skills with financial reports preparation and
• Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
• Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written English skills
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link here