VNG International is implementing the Sustainable Development through improved Local Governance (SDLG) Programme in partnership with the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the period 2022 to 2026. The Programme seeks to impact that local governments and their representative bodies shape more sustainable futures for their communities.
Through institutional, organisational and individual capacity development VNGI expects an improved mandate of Local Governments in intergovernmental relationships, improved local governance in decision-making processes, policies and services, and improved leadership within the local government and Civil Society for the purpose of reaching development objectives within the thematic fields of security and rule of law, migration, climate change and water, Local Economic Development and taxation.
Within the Uganda programme, the impact is expected to contribute to “a more sustainable development for those in fear of conflict, those who risk being left behind and the affected host and displaced communities”. The objective of the Programme is “a locally driven inclusive and accountable governance in 9 local governments in Uganda”.
Programme Field Coordinators (4)
Arua City (Koboko, Arua City and Yumbe), Bushenyi_ishaka/Kasese Municipalities, Kalangala District and Wakiso District.
Relevant university qualification in Public Policy Analysis and Management Development Economics, Project Planning and Management, Social Sciences. Post Qualification and training in governance, migration, planning, Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage.
Skills and competencies
Overall, the position requires a profile to support coordination and implementation of the SDLG Programme activities within the targeted Local Governments and contribute content to implementation of Country programme activities. The more specific skills and 5 competencies expected include:
• Fluent communication (orally and written) in English. Knowledge of any of the local languages within the area of implementation is required.
• Knowledge and familiarity with the local context within the targeted Local Governments – preferably a good understanding of the dynamics within the Local Government structures and processes.
• Knowledge and a good understanding of Project Cycle Management with a specific focus on Fragility, Taxation and LED. Migration and refugee management.
• Good knowledge and understanding of decentralized services and Local Governance Sector.
• Cultural and conflict sensitivity.
• Pro-active and representative attitude.
• Analytic and content oriented.
• Computer literate (Microsoft Office);
• Able to work independently and yet a good team player.
Reporting supervisor (s) Resident Programme Manager, Programme thematic experts.
Key tasks and deliverables
1. Be the Focal Point Person for Programme intake, follow up, development and collaboration with the Local Governments, stakeholders and partners.
2. Support Local Governments to plan, budget and align activities to programme content to the focus.
3. Contribute to activity planning, scheduling, implementation and reporting.
4. Support Local Governments develop programme interventions and utilization of grants advanced.
5. Represent VNG International in the collaborations with stakeholders within the Local Government – including but not limited to planning meetings, joint actions, and reviews.
6. Regularly consult and engage with the thematic experts and provide input into programme approach, schedules, and plans.
7. Submit monthly progress reports and updates to the thematic experts for review and consolidation into programme reports.
8. Document experiences and best practices from field activities and interventions to inform annual programme reviews and programme adaptation.
9. Be responsible for monitoring and tracking programme indicators, documenting change stories and developing advocacy topics for shaping programme focus.
10. Contribute to the content and development of Country annual Work Plans and reports.
Job application procedure
All applications including an expression of interest indicating dates of availability, expected remuneration together with an updated Curriculum Vitae written in a standard format should be submitted to the particulars below by Close of Business on Friday 25th March 2022.
The Programme Manager VNG International
Attn: Anne-Marie Tosserams
Anne.vanDam@vng.nl and copied to
Note: Applicants for the Programme Field Coordinators should specify their preferred location in their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.