Job Title: Infrastructure specialist (Linux, Unix, Solaris and OVM).
Reporting to: Senior Manager Network & Infrastructure Operations
Division – Technology
No. of Vacancies: 1
Level of work: 3 (15)
Mission/ Core purpose of the Job
To pro-actively support the back-office Operations in the Linux, Unix and virtualization environment and implement Back office changes in the infrastructure Domain to ensure that MTN achieves the predefined company objectives.
Main Job Functions:
• Design, installing, configuring, and maintaining Enterprise Infrastructure in accordance with business requirements and timelines.
• Deploy MTN Uganda safe enterprise Infrastructure (hardware and Operating systems)
• Conduct research on Enterprise products (Virtualization, Operating systems, security and standards to remain abreast of developments in the IT industry.
• Ensuring that cloud platforms meet the availability, integrity, scalability, and security requirements.
• Define workload placements and cloud strategies for VMware and Red Hat platforms
• Execute and oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
• Monitor and test Backoffice performance and provide performance statistics and reports.
• Provide Tier 2 Technical guidance for operating system administration and support including mentoring (and knowledge share)
• Actively participating in IT projects and initiatives through rebuilding/cloning the test environments, building stress testing plans, and monitoring performance in accordance with company standards and established procedures.
• Design and maintain comprehensive procedural documentation for all Backoffice Infrastructure.
• Manage Project migrations to the production environments within the required timelines.
• Serves as the first point of contact for Linux, Unix and virtualization escalations, establishes, and maintains an effective relationship with the Vendors to ensure that all critical issues are brought to a rapid resolution in accordance with established SLAs.
• Establishing and maintaining effective relationships to continually improve collaboration with business stakeholders.
• Responsible for capacity planning, performance monitoring, and disaster recovery for cloud platforms
Key Performance Areas: Core, essential responsibilities / outputs of the position (KPA’s)
• Quality of projects delivered.
• Completeness, accuracy and efficiency of defined processes and procedures
• Adherence to approved operating standards and methodologies.
• Efficient delivery of solutions in line with defined of SLAs
• Operational stability
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical/Telecom Engineering, or related field
• Relevant certification / accreditation i.e., Business process Framework training like ITIL, Etom, Togaf, Prince and PMP etc.
6 years’ experience in Virtualization, Unix and Linux with in a fast and stressful environment, Plus 3 years in process driven environments
• Virtualization Training
• ITIL training
• Basic Audit training
• Project management methodologies
• Relationship management
• Training in Microsoft Visual, excel, word and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work on multiple tasks, often with conflicting objectives and competing deadlines.
• Analytical skills
• Business acumen – an understanding of the business as a whole.
• Change management skills
• Coaching skills – to develop the team and staff.
• Communication skills
• Conflict management skills
• Delegating skills
• Facilitation skills
• Feedback skills
• Flexibility – the ability to adapt and change in the light of changing circumstances / new information.
• Influencing skills
• Negotiation skills
• Quality management skills
• Relationship skills – to build relationships to facilitate efficient workflow.
• Risk management skills
• Scanning skills – to search for new ideas, trends, and principles.
• Strong “can-do attitude” combined with an ability to use minimum resources to get maximum outputs.
• Systems thinking – understanding the “big picture”.
• Time management, specifically the ability to prioritize.
• Ability to deal with high levels of ambiguity.
• Attention to detail.
• Conceptual thinking
• Consultative approach
• Continuous improvement philosophy
• Decision making
• Emotional intelligence
• Planning and organizing
• Quality assurance
• Results orientated.
• Solution providing
• Strategic thinking
Job application procedure
To apply visit: https://mtn.taleo.net/careersection/mtn_external_cs/jobdetail.ftl?job=2100000J&tz=GMT%2B03%3A00&tzname=Africa%2FNairobi