GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps is looking for a proactive, innovative, community engaged, organized, trustworthy and creative candidate to fill the position of Innovation Centre Community Engagement Assistants Reporting to the Project Manager, the Innovation Centre Community Engagement Assistant will work to ensure active engagement of the community members (women, men and youth)with the innovation centre and support the management and marketing of the Innovation centres as a social centre for Refugees and Host Communities.
S/he will be a creative, action-oriented problem solver with strong experience in community engagement.
Specific activities will include ensuring the Centre becomes a vibrant, social hub that is responding to the needs of diverse local community members (women, men, youth, elderly etc.). This will be done by organisation of activities in the centres that respond to local needs, strengthening relationships with existing community structures, sensitization of community groups, and marketing of the services at the innovation centre.
The Innovation Centre Community Engagement Assistant will also assist in registering and profiling users of the innovation centres, maintaining safety of the materials at the innovation centres, developing revenue streams for the innovation centres in collaboration with the project manager and any other activity as needed..
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Engagement with different user groups (women, men, youth, elderly) to establish activities within the centres that cater for their needs.
• In coordination with Project Manager and Program Assistant, oversee the day to day running of the innovation centres.
• Management of planning in the innovation centre
• Mobilize community members to actively access the services at the innovation centres such as the internet (Wi-Fi), games and sports and social events, machines etc.
• Work closely with the partner organizations and other stakeholders like UNHCR, OPM and the District Local Government to market the services and opportunities at the innovation centres.
• Support community sensitization activities about the different skills training and employment events that are organized in and around the Innovation Centres.
• Registration and profiling of community members accessing the different services at the innovation centres.
• Build relationships with implementing partners in the settlement and market the services available at the innovation centres such as hall hire, internet services, spaces for hire etc.
• Ensure that facilities at the innovation centres (Halls, furniture, internet, machines, internet cafes, generators, solar, etc. are kept safe and in good working condition and maintained and services as required.
• Make daily field visits to settlements to ensure good implementation of activities as well as partners’ activities.
• proactive troubleshooting, resolving issues in the centres in coordination with PM / PA
1. Documentation, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
• Prepare and submit weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports that will be indicative of activities taking place in the innovation centres.
• Respond to queries if and when necessary from partners, stakeholders and community members.
• Support in maintaining a proper filing system with activity reports, attendance lists and pictures.
• Reach out to local partners, collaborate with them for activities in the centres, and market activities via local groups.
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps Uganda and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
3. Accountability to Beneficiaries: Al Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to direct program participants, engaging them as equal partners in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of our field activities.
4. Organizational Learning: As part of Mercy Corps Uganda’s commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit the program as well as themselves.
5. Any other related duties assigned
Ethics and Integrity
• All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Project Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Finance and Operations Team, MEL team and partners
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• At least a diploma in social sciences, business administration or any relevant field of study.
• Strong community mobilization skills a must.
• Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm as well as a willingness to learn and to be continually adaptive within a dynamic and often self-directed working environment mandatory.
• Proactive, problem-solving action orientation is essential.
• Able and willing to drive a motorbike safely on a daily basis (Having a valid license is required).
• Speaking a local language is preferable: e.g. Lugbara, Kakwa, Arabic etc.
• Good writing, communication, organization, prioritization skills. Good (English) verbal and written communication skills preferred.
• Computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Excellent teamwork abilities and interpersonal skills
• The ideal candidate will come from the local community and will have the ability and curiosity to work comfortably and effectively in the cultural, relatively poor infrastructure of West Nile. S/he will be proactive, entrepreneurial, well connected with local organisations operating in zones 3 and 4, capable of mobilising community volunteers and excited about potential for the centres.
• S/he will be an excellent communicator, have a strong sense of humour, multi-tasker, and able to work difficult and often stressful environments. S/he will be committed to the work of Mercy Corps and the objectives of this program. They will demonstrate their dedication with a strong work ethic, attention to detail and creative problem solving.
Job application procedure
Use the link to apply: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/MER1024MERCY/JobBoard/df92509c-10a2-4fc7-9d8c-ddae2a94d9fc/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=9cb46cee-b226-4920-8d66-607f66da0849