The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment, Global Health Security, Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAPcertified IDI Core Lab) and Outreach.
Job Title : Locum Drivers
Vacancy Code : LDX01
Classification : Full time
Reporting : Field Office Coordinator
Duty Station : West Nile
Under the supervision of the Fleet Management Officer of the Infectious Diseases Ltd.(IDIL), the transport assistant assists in providing safe and reliable transportation for IDIL staff, visitors and materials, keeps the Institute vehicle/s in good mechanical and functional condition, ensures compliance with all vehicle-related legal and institutional /management requirements..
Essential Job functions
• To provide safe, comfortable and reliable transportation for Institute staff and partners/visitors including but not confined to airport pick-ups, travel within and outside Kampala, and all other locations as may be required by authorized staff on Institute business. This includes ensuring that safety belts are worn at all times, there is no smoking in the vehicle and that no alcohol is consumed before driving etc…
• To transport Institute materials and supplies to various destinations as required by authorized staff on Institute business.
• To deliver mail and materials as well as any other written or verbal communication to and from locations designated by authorized staff.
• To keep the Institute vehicle in good mechanical and functional condition including but not confined to regular fueling, servicing and cleaning of the interior and exterior.
• To perform regular preventive maintenance and minor repairs where possible.
• To notify the Assistant Administrator of any major car repairs necessary and to assist in arranging and overseeing/supervising such repairs.
• To ensure that all required documentation for administrative use such as mileage, fuel usage and trip authorization tracking information is kept up to date at all times in the prescribed manner.
• To ensure that all legal, institutional and municipal requirements and dues are met in good time and/or regularly renewed e.g. Third party and Comprehensive Insurance, Parking Fees, Registration and Licenses etc…
• To ensure that all reasonable measures are taken to protect the Institute vehicle from theft or damage e.g. by ensuring that it has adequate security and accident features such as alarms and “bull horns”
• To run general Institute errands and assume other duties as assigned by the Assistant Administrator to ensure the sound functioning of the office and achievement of project goals.
• UCE Certificate
• Class B, CM and DL
Job Qualification Requirements: Not Specified
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of current traffic rules and regulations
• Basic knowledge of car operation and the associated mechanics
• Familiarity with the lay out and location of key facilities in Kampala and other major Ugandan towns.
• Physical ability and willingness to drive for long hours and occasionally on weekends and/or holidays.
• Ability to communicate competently and understand instructions in English and in common local language/s.
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
• Ability to understand and adhere to company car policies and competently complete car-related documentation
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate.
Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send their CVs, which should include details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address not later than 27th, October 2019. (Email your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s save the environment).
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached
as one document
4. Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject line of your email
5. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute – IDI Knowledge Centre,
Makerere University Main Campus
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda