Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Working in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has applied market-driven solutions to communities across the country, equipping individuals and households with the knowledge, skills and confidence to generate improvements in their access to markets, livelihoods, health, nutrition, and security, in order to improve their overall resilience.
About USAID Project
Mercy Corps implements high quality- analytical work in tough environments. We’ve been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently manage a range of programs in Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja sub-regions with funding from a host of donors. In October 2017, Mercy Corps was awarded a 5 year USAID/ Food for Peace- funded program working in 4 districts in Karamoja (Amudat, Moroto, Kotido and Kaabong), the Apolou Activity.
Job Summary: The MEL Assistants will work with the Mercy Corps Apolou Activity team as well as our local partner organizations to oversee and ensure the collection of quality M&E data for the program. The MEL Assistant will be responsible for supporting the MEL officers, Database Officer and Database Assistant to oversee the monitoring and data collection during the Households verification processes and take lead in regular and annual field based household and group interviews. S/he will ensure that performance monitoring processes across the entire activity are in place, effectively implemented and well synchronized. The MEL Assistant will supervise teams of enumerators in data collection, and reporting according to the target set by the Activity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Apolou team and local partners, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities and results.
- Manage regular synchronisations and backups of field data to cloud-based data management system.
- Work on maintaining participant tracking systems, with a primary focus on providing high quality data to program teams.
- Proactively work to contribute in the development and improvement of the system’s functionality, enhancing data quality, and identifying areas of improvement well in time
- Work closely with program teams in devising new ways, and processes to improve efficiency of data collection processes, and quality of collected data.
- Maintain confidentiality and observe data protection and associated guidelines at all times.
- Perform spot checks on the team’s data collected or Households verified.
- Ensuring accuracy of entered data and comparing it with the existing scheduling system to make sure all records are consistent and aligned.
- Support in the review and checking of data generated being in line with the M&E reporting requirements.
- Troubleshoot front and back end issues with the database, including any synchronisation issues of field-level data.
- Work as part of a team to facilitate and support MEL operations including baseline, annual and end line surveys, regular monitoring, data collection, analysis and reporting according to the MEL work plan.
- Ensure proper coordination and mobilisation of the participants during the household verification and annual surveys.
- Ensure proper custody, safety and maintenance of all the phones and tablet
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervision of enumerators collecting field data during HH verification and annual survey.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps MEL Assistant job placement hold a Bachelor’s degree in management, statistics, economics, social science or related field.
- Good understanding and skills at data management, data flow and Prior experience with computerized data management systems.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications expert knowledge of Excel and the use of Commcare, Ona, ODK and other mobile data collection platforms is required.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong team coordination, listening, and consensus building skills.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English. Fluency in spoken N’Karamojong or Pokot is a must.
- One to Two years of experience working in the NGO sector in M&E, community development or economic and market development.
- Prior experience carrying out surveys or conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- Strong analytical skills coupled with a solid understanding of quantitative indicators and data collection strategies.
- Able to drive a motorbike safely and valid license required or willingness to obtain in the first 6 months of employment
- The successful MEL Assistant will combine exceptional management skills and keen attention to detail. Fluency in N’Karamojong or Pokot is a mandate.
- S/he will have an ability to think creatively about operationalizing and improving the MEL system of the program. S/he will have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills.
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail as well as strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- A good sense of humor and the ability to learn from mistakes also goes a long way!