For nearly 50 years, AKF has been partnering with communities, governments and local leaders to harness the best from people from all backgrounds to improve the quality of life. The Foundation’s work is rooted in core values of self-reliance, pluralism, and respect for human dignity. AKF is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), one of the world’s leading poverty solutions networks. The AKDN’s integrated approach makes long-term investments, builds permanent institutions and cultivates an active civil society, impacting tens of millions of people annually in 30 countries. Alongside its sister AKDN agencies, the AKF implements innovative, community-driven solutions that are based on decades of experience, learning and evaluation.
The Foundation is looking for a dynamic Program Accountant to support the implementation of the Integrated Primary Care Model for Mental health in a Decentralized System in Uganda (iMH-CARE Uganda) program and manage efficient operation of the programme’s financial management processes and procedures and facilitate production of quality financial reports to support timely decision making. iMH-CARE will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation Uganda (AKFU) in partnership with YouBelong Uganda (YBU). Together, we will design and deliver a comprehensive mental health system strengthening project in Kampala and Wakiso districts of Uganda.
The project will develop a range of population wide and targeted SBCC interventions to sustainably increase demand for mental health prevention, treatment and support services in Kampala and Wakiso, from January 2020 to December 2022.
- Organize and administer an efficient and effective system for managing project financial and administrative matters in compliance with all applicable requirements
- Ensure proper coding and recording of financial transactions into the unit’s Financial Information System while reviewing completeness of documentation in all financial processes to ensure quality
- Maintain sub-grant financial records and coordinate with the program department to reconcile financial records with sub-grants awarded; Monitor financial compliance of sub-grantees and bring any potential non-compliance issues to the attention of the Finance and program leads.
- Cash management including preparation of funding requests, providing cash flow forecasts while monitoring cash balances and preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Preparation and management of the payroll
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly and annual grant and management financial reports.
- Participate in ongoing analysis, forecasting and review of project expenses and appraise the project manager on key issues for action.
- Ensure proper reconciliation of the financial and administrative functions with fieldwork processes through coordination and consultation with the other programme staff
- Ensure timely and quality financial reporting of the Program activities
- Ensure effective division and coordination of responsibilities with the Finance and Administrative Assistant
- Review activity concept notes considering the proposal and targeted outputs and outcomes, including budget provisions.
- Flag issues of concerns/financial nature on the programme to the PM for assistance, guidance or resolutions.
- Participate in implementation of field activities as may be necessary
- Review all project related reports; activity and periodic; quarterly and annual reports
- Work in consultation with the project manager to plan and coordinate project learning/studies; baselines, midterm reviews and terminal evaluations within the AKF operational policies
- Ensure compliance to the tax and legal requirements including making statutory payments and submission of returns on time.
- Coordinate and participate in project Internal and External Audits
- Ensure that all Project activities are carried out within minimal risk and that the organization is not exposed to risk of resources waste, misappropriations and fraudulent activities
- Regularly mentor project staff to build their capacities on financial management and accountability to enable the team in applying such support services as integral components, as they execute their roles and responsibilities in the project.
- Assist with other functions as may be requested by the Project Manager or Country Finance Manager
- Ensure that assets are adequately recorded, monitored, safeguarded and disposed of in the most efficient and effective manner, in order to minimize risk of loss, mismanagement and increased cost of maintenance.
- Participate and support the budget and proposal development process.
- Maintain financial files and records
- Supervise the finance and admin officer.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelors’ degree in finance and Accounting
- Professional qualification ACCA / CPA will be an added advantage
- At least three (3) years financial administration experience, preferably with an international organization and/or Non-Governmental Organizations which are multi funded
- Proficiency in using FIS, iscala / business dynamics
- Understanding of budget and cost control management essential
- Ability to work under pressure and efficiently handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work under own initiative or as a part of a team
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PPT and other relevant software and tools
- Strong report writing skills
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity with AKF should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees via e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Program Accountant’ in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“AKF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.”