The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment, Global Health Security, Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAPcertified IDI Core Lab) and Outreach.
In order to achieve the above objectives, IDI seeks to recruit a motivated and competent Project Coordinator as indicated below;
Job Title: Project Coordinator
Vacancy Code: PCOX01
Reporting line: Principal Investigator
Classification: Full time
Duty station: Kampala Office
IDI will be working in the communities of Kampala and Wakiso to increase case finding for tuberculosis by involving the private sector. We will also conduct activities that empower vulnerable groups especially those affected by tuberculosis. .
Role and Responsibilities
• The Project Coordinator is responsible for overall coordination of the various project functions: set up, implementation and close-out
• Assists investigators with implementation of project-planning and problem-solving
• Responsible for developing work plans for the project as well as SOPs to be used by participating pharmacies
• Coordinate face-to-face and e-learning courses for the pharmacy staff participating in the project
• Organise and coordinate meetings with stakeholders and partners both in country and internationally
• Participate in preparation of memoranda with collaborating partners
• Ensure timely submission of reports
• Coordinate re-imbursements and payments under a voucher system for the project in-line with financial guidelines
• Responsible for planning & developing recruitment plans and strategies for the project as well as ensuring project targets are met
• Carry out field visits to participating pharmacies to confirm concordance with agreed SOPs
• To develop a communication strategy to establish challenges /bottle-necks and develop mutually agreeable solutions
• Laisse with procurement to ensure timely requisition of supplies for the project
• Prepare quarterly reports as per the funders guidelines
• Supervises staff and ensures that they achieve the aims and objectives of the project
• Participates in development and control of budgets in accordance with financial guidelines;
• Contributes to the writing of Scientific Articles.
Working experience and skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
• Should be fluent in oral and written English;
• Should be a highly motivated person and should be able to work under a high workload;
• Competent in the use of standard office software;
• Ability to work in a team but also work independently.
• Ability to speak local language
• Flexibility to work long hours which may occasionally extend beyond normal working hours in order to complete critical tasks.
• Degree in public health, epidemiology, health service management, pharmacy or medicine
• Previous experience in TB or TB/HIV related project management
• Master’s degree in any of the above disciplines will give an added advantage
Job Education Requirements: Degree in public health
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate. Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send their CVs, which should include details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address not later than 24th, October 2019. (Email your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s save the environment).
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached as one document
4. Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject line of your email
5. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute – IDI Knowledge Centre,
Makerere University Main Campus
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda