Overall purpose of the job.
To carry out new installations, maintenance/repair of irrigation pumps, pipelines and associated accessories to ensure high equipment availability and adequate water supply for irrigation of sugarcane in assigned areas.
1. Develop preventative maintenance schedules for pumps and pipelines.
2. Conduct repairs of pumps and pipelines as per acceptable engineering standards.
3. Install pumps and pipelines and related accessories according to design standards and procedures.
4. Carry out pump/pipeline failure diagnosis and root cause analysis and apply corrective actions accordingly.
5. Initiate procurement of spares and ensure fast moving parts are readily available all the time as per pump spares database.
6. Issue out appropriate tools and instruments available to subordinates to enable them accomplish the assigned jobs and tasks.
7. Maintain an up-to-date register of workshop tools and equipment
8. Keep appropriate records of all completed work, materials and any other related activities in the Irrigation section.
9. Maintain daily records of maintenance activities
10. Keep daily records for all consumables related to irrigation.
11. Monthly reports of pumps, pipelines and workshop related works
12. Receive the previous day’s work reports and take corrective action on the negative aspects accordingly.
13. Enforce the safety, health and environment policies of the company to the subordinates.
14. Ensure pre-task risk assessments and permits are done for all major works before execution
15. Perform any other duties as maybe assigned by the Maintenance Superintendent /Management.
Knowledge, qualifications & Experience
A Diploma in Mechanical Technology from a recognized Institution.
Experience, Skills and Competences:
1. A minimum of three (3) years in pump/pipeline maintenance or a similar job. Knowledge in pumps and pipelines, mechanical fitting. Good task allocation and supervisory skills, good record keeping, report writing skills and good communication skills.
2. Communication Skills: The position demands constant interactions with employees, management, and stakeholders throughout the business and, therefore, communication skills are an absolute necessity.
3. Ms Office: A candidate for this position must be proficient in the use of Ms Word, Ms Excel, and
4. PowerPoint, all necessary for the creation of not only visually but verbally engaging materials, reports, presentations, and proposals for departmental heads and management, stakeholders.
5. Analytical Skills: A candidate for this position must be capable of gathering and interpreting raw information and data, documenting findings, and drawing appropriate recommendations.
6. Interpersonal Skills: The candidate must be a helpful, calm and professional individual and demonstrate calmness during times of uncertainty.
7. People Skills: individual who is able to gunner the trust and respect of departmental heads and management.
Job application procedure
Send your application with the CV and academic documents as an attachment to email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position in the subject line and addressed to:
Head of Human Resources
Kakira Sugar Limited
P.O. Box 121, Jinja – Uganda
Tel: 0414 444 000
Deadline: 10th March 2023
Kakira Sugar Limited is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
Note: Hand delivered applications shall not be received.