Reporting to the Finance Manager, the post holder is part of the Finance Management Team of Marie Stopes International in Uganda and ensures effective and efficient management of all Donor funds. The Senior Accountant is responsible for financial management, project financial reporting, and oversight of all financial and administrative activities to ensure full compliance with MSI and donor regulations and policies. The role will have a critical obligation to work closely with the in-country program team, MSI Donor reporting team, and the Regional Finance Team to ensure that all financial documentation prepared and submitted to the donor is correct, complete and appropriate. .
Devise accurate realistic and inclusive country programme budgets.
• Participate in preparation of annual operational and capital budgets in line with donor contracts
• Monitor expenditure trends and provide timely advice and explanation on potential over or under spends to programme managers and senior management: allowing managers to make informed and appropriate decisions regarding adjustments to their program work plans.
• Monitor programme support costs and ensure they reflect agreed plans and donor regulations.
• Develop and ensure upload into the accounting system of high quality project budgets and monitor allocation of donor restricted income and expenditure to ensure effective utilization of donor resources.
Oversee and ensure financial systems and procedures that enable efficient and appropriate use of financial resources
• Review and ensure changes in MSI and donor requirements are reflected in in-country financial policies and procedures.
• Provide practice notes on financial policies and procedures manual to programme staff regarding any changes in donor compliance
• Inform program managers of any variations beyond 10% from approved budget categories.
• Support the Finance Director and Financial Controller to ensure organisational internal controls and systems are maintained and adhered to and address identified risks.
Effective management and oversight of working capital including stock, debtors and cash
• Coordinate and maintain a cash flow management and forecasting system whereby adequate funds are available for programme needs: following up and ascertaining donor cash inflows, strict expenditure control and a strong understanding of programme requirements
• Supervise monthly reconciliations of donor specific accounts (Deferred income, Deferred capital, Donated stock, Donor specific bank accounts)
• Assist in the country program’s cash management
Financial Reporting, Audit, and Project close-out
• Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual donor financial and related reports according to agreed timelines, MSI standards, and donor requirements
• Participate in the various audit exercises, taking lead on all donor compliance audits.
• Lead all project close-out processes ensuring full compliance with donor requirements, and MSI Standards
Donor specific records management
• Manage the development of a proper filing system for all financial transactions allocable to all projects
• Ensure files are appropriately stored and compliant with donor financial regulations to facilitate the audit process.
Leading a continuously developing and improving team
• Work with the program/ project teams to ensure training and rollout of projects to all staff.
• Provide on job training and support to finance officers and assistants
• Conduct Donor compliance training to all stake holders
• Significant financial management experience at a similar level (donor funded and private sector preferred)
• Excellent knowledge of financial management systems and reporting
• Knowledge of donor contract requirements for budgeting and reporting
• Ability to perform under pressure, handle heavy workloads, and meet stringent reporting deadlines
• Clear ability to identify and set performance deliverables
• Excellent analytical skills
• Hands-on experience with electronic accounting systems; knowledge of SUN Systems and mobile money essential
• Able to communicate effectively at all levels
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
• Cross-functional team player
• Proven leadership and management skills that motivate high performing teams and encourage innovation and creativity
Qualifications and Training (essential/ desirable)
• A professional qualified accountant and member of a reputable professional body (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or CPA)
• Degree-educated or equivalent in a business or finance related field (essential).
• More than one Ugandan language desirable
Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. We encourage and expect all team members will demonstrate the following behaviours:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
• Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
• Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
• Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
• Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
• Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
• Team Player
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply for the positions, Please submit your application and CV to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is, 15th April 2021.