The consultant is contracted as an individual to support SITES in conducting rapid assessments, programmatic evaluations, short studies, data analysis & modelling, predictive analysis, and development of tools to inform rapidly evolving HIV epidemic control strategies and Family Health programming. Uganda is committed and working towards sustainable HIV epidemic control and achievement of the SDGs; PEPFAR and other US Government agencies are supporting this endeavor. Although the HIV epidemic in Uganda is at stage where the majority of HIV infected individuals are already diagnosed and enrolled in HIV treatment programs, Uganda is still experiencing a high number of new HIV infections with significant numbers of individuals not yet virally suppressed. There are also challenges with linkage of diagnosed individuals to treatment and retaining those on treatment. Similarly, Uganda continues to face multiple challenges in addressing family health problems and improving the health status of communities. Health system constraints, including timely availability, quality and use of health data to track HIV epidemic control and manage other health challenges persist.
Scope of work
The scope covers the technical areas of HIV/AIDS, OVC, TB, MCH, Family Planning, Malaria, Nutrition, WASH. The consultant will carry out the following tasks, working in close collaboration with the SITES technical experts:
• A minimum of a post graduate training at degree or diploma level in epidemiology, demography, statistics, public health, health systems research
• At least 8 years of programming experience in HIV and/or Family Health, at least 3 of which following post graduate training
• At least 5 years of health research working experience in any of the technical areas above. Expertise in mathematical modelling, detailed statistical analysis and triangulation are added attributes.
• Strong understanding of data management processes within a developing country health systems context. Experience with the Ugandan health system in preferred.
• Experience with data sharing, technical presentations and training
• Demonstrable technical writing and presentation skills.