Position: Technical Expert/ Communication
Supervisor: GVTC Executive Secretary
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
The Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration (GVTC) is an intergovernmental organization established through the GVTC treaty signed in 2015 between DRC, Rwanda and Uganda. GVTC is Transboundary Collaboration Framework for programs and activities on wildlife conservation and tourism development within the Greater Virunga Landscape, which covers the Central Albertine Rift (CAR) and shared by the three countries of Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Uganda.
The GVTC’s goal is the improving conservation of species, habitants, and ecological services contributing to increased socio-economic benefits to the people of the CAR, through effective transboundary collaboration. GVTC works with and through partners towards synergizing the conservation efforts across the three countries. The Greater Virunga Landscape comprises seven national parks and one wildlife reserve disseminated along the shared boundaries of the three countries.
The Vision of the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration is: “The Central Albertine Transfrontier Protect Area network together with surrounding landscape is conserved sustainability” while the goal is: “Sustainable conservation of the Central Albertine Rift for long term socio-economic development through strategic transboundary collaboration management,”
It is against this background that GVTC is hiring a Technical Expert/ Communication for a 3-year contract of employment in order to strengthen its capacity for the effective management of the Greater Virunga Landscape.
Scope of work
With support of Executive Secretary, the Technical Expert/ Communication will conduct all necessary advisory activities to smoothly implement the program and provide guidance on the day-to-day implementation of activities and on parallel co- financing initiatives.
The expected outputs are:
• Communications strategy
• Interactive and vibrant website and sociomedia channels
• High quality GVTC publications to local, regional and international partners and media
• Quarterly and annual reports to the Executive Secretary on progress, challenges, lessons learned, new innovations and fundraising
Duties and Responsibilities
• Support the development and delivery of the GVTC communications strategy for internal and external communications. This could include, but is not limited to providing strategic advice on Communications for the GVTC
• Support for the development of new communication products, including an e-newsletter, corporate brochures and an update of the GVTC website, articles and other communications vehicles, including a strong social media presence
• Support for social media campaigns
• Internal media and communications related training
• Guidance and supervision for GVTC’s Communications staff
• Organizing the design, editing and publishing of at least nine project publications
• Developing and delivering a GVL awareness campaign to promote Protected Areas that fall under it, including but not limited to featuring TV Commercials, radio and print advertising and a key messaging brief
• Support resource mobilization/fund-raising activities through effective advocacy, communication strategy and activities.
• Establish communication baselines against which the achievement of objectives of the communication strategy will be regularly evaluated; analysis undertaken to continuously improve the effectiveness of communication strategy and activities; results and reports are prepared and shared.
• The GVTC team are provided with professional expertise and advice on all aspects of external relations communication as required.
• Perform any other tasks as asked by senior management/supervisor
Requirements for the Technical Expert/ Communication
Master’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or another related field.
• 10 years of work experience in the field of media relations, journalism or/and communication;
• Experience working at international/regional level
• Proven experience as an editor
• Outstanding communication, networking and negotiation skills;
• Excellent computer skills and experience in preparing and maintaining communication materials;
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision, be dynamic, proactive and creative;
• Understanding of key human development issues;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Builds strong relationships with internal and external actors;
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send in hard copy, their motivation letter addressed to the GVTC Executive Secretary including Detailed CV; Certified academic document, a driving license class B with at least three years of experience, to the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration in Rugando- Kimihurura, via Kigali International Airport Road, KN 5 RD, KG 6 Av #16-Building- Opposite Cari Apartments, Mob. +250 788573965 or electronically by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org latest on July 8, 2021 before 5:00 pm.
Only the shortlisted candidate will be contacted.