Position: Technical Expert/Programs Management
Supervisor: GVTC Executive Secretary
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
The Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration (GVTC) is an intergovernmental organization established through the GVTC treaty signed in 2015 between DRC, Rwanda and Uganda. GVTC is Transboundary Collaboration Framework for programs and activities on wildlife conservation and tourism development within the Greater Virunga Landscape, which covers the Central Albertine Rift (CAR) and shared by the three countries of Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Uganda.
The GVTC’s goal is the improving conservation of species, habitants, and ecological services contributing to increased socio-economic benefits to the people of the CAR, through effective transboundary collaboration. GVTC works with and through partners towards synergizing the conservation efforts across the three countries. The Greater Virunga Landscape comprises seven national parks and one wildlife reserve disseminated along the shared boundaries of the three countries.
The Vision of the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration is: “The Central Albertine Transfrontier Protect Area network together with surrounding landscape is conserved sustainability” while the goal is: “Sustainable conservation of the Central Albertine Rift for long term socio-economic development through strategic transboundary collaboration management,”
It is against this background that GVTC is hiring a Technical Expert/Programs Management for a 3-year contract of employment in order to strengthen its capacity for the effective management of the Greater Virunga Landscape.
Scope of work
With support of Executive Secretary, the Technical Expert /Programs Management will conduct all necessary advisory activities to smoothly implement the Programme and provide guidance on the day-to-day implementation of activities and on parallel co- financing initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide technical expertise and strategic guidance to all program components, assuming quality control of interventions, and support the Programs Unit in the coordination of the implementation of planned activities as stipulated in the program document/work plan;
• Provide technical expertise in undertaking project impact and risk/vulnerability assessment on communities and key wildlife species
• Provide technical support in identification of appropriate conflict sensitive indicators in monitoring and evaluation of Programme deliverables and ensuring the timely delivery of expected outputs.
• Ensure that technical contracts meet the highest standards; provide input into development of Terms of Reference, assist with selection process, recommend best approaches, provide technical peer function consultants; provide training and backstopping where necessary.
• Project management and monitoring
• Provide hands-on support to the Executive Secretary, Programme staff and other government counterparts in the areas of project management and planning, management of site activities, impact assessment, monitoring and final evaluation of the project;
• Assist the Programme Coordinator in the preparation and revision of the Management Plan as well as Annual Work Plans;
• Assist the Programme Coordinator in monitoring the technical quality of project M&E systems
• Coordinate preparation of the periodic Status Report as required both in the Programme contract and by the GVTC treaty.
• Assist the Executive Secretary in liaison work with institutional partners, donor organizations, NGOs and other groups to ensure effective coordination of Programme activities.
• Assist the organisation in fundraising for new and existing projects and programs including writing a fundraising strategy for approval by the board.
• Assist the Executive Secretary in coordinating with funders and partners of the GVTC; sharing information and updates
The expected outputs are:
• Fundraising strategy
• Coherent Annual Plans for the Programme
• Quarterly and annual reports to the Executive Secretary on progress, challenges, lessons learned, new innovations and fundraising
Requirements for the Technical Expert for Program Management
Advanced university degree (at least Master’s degree or equivalent) in the area of Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, Environmental Economics or any other relevant university degree
• At least 10 years of professional experience, of which at least 7 are at international level, and 5 are in the field of management of natural resources-based conflict sensitive management, environmental management and livelihood improvement;
• Design, management and technical coordination of complex multi-stakeholders’ projects and programs
• Strategic analysis, policy making, planning and programming for sustainable development and Management of protected areas; Mainstreaming of environment considerations into local development plans.
• Team building and communication skills are required
• Demonstrated experience in project development, implementation and management;
• Strong skills in monitoring and evaluation;
• Proven experience drafting technical reports or scientific papers;
• Proven experience in developing consultancy works
• Proven experience of at least 3 years in advising projects in Africa specifically in Great Lakes Region
• Exposure to donor funded projects
• Fluent in English. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
• Full working knowledge of English (ability to draft reports, proposals and analyses)
• Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN/EU values and ethical standards;
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with colleagues in multi-cultural environment;
• Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send in hard copy, their motivation letter addressed to the GVTC Executive Secretary including Detailed CV; Certified academic document, a driving license class B with at least three years of experience, to the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration in Rugando- Kimihurura, via Kigali International Airport Road, KN 5 RD, KG 6 Av #16-Building- Opposite Cari Apartments, Mob. +250 788573965 or electronically by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org latest on July 8, 2021 before 5:00 pm.