Requisition ID: req17427
Job Title: Volunteer Cleaner
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Volunteer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals and refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community-based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. IRC has a country office in Kampala, and field offices in Moroto, Kiryandongo, Kyaka II, Yumbe and Imvepi.
Scope of Work
The Volunteer Cleaner is responsible for maintaining general cleanliness of the Livelihood Resource Center premises at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Always maintain cleanliness inside and outside the Livelihood Resource Centre premises daily.
• Wash floors and windows at the premises each day.
• Empty and Clean dustbins and wastepaper baskets daily and dispose rubbish in designated areas only.
• Ensure that washrooms are kept clean and well always stocked with the necessary toiletries daily.
• Ensure that all the Livelihood furniture and Training equipment are clean and well-arranged daily.
• Assist in arranging for in house meetings i.e. (arranging meeting room).
• Ensure requirements for tea/coffee making are always available at the kitchen/pantry counter i.e., teacups, sugar, coffee, teaspoons.
• When required, assist with the general duties involved in the production of and delivery of food during office events and the lunch time.
• Assist with any other office duties as may be required by your supervisor.
• Notify management of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs.
• Follow all health and safety regulations.
• Minimum O – Level Certificate, with a good command of the English language
• At least One year experience working in a similar position (preferred)
• A good command of the English language
• Ability to maintain the highest degree of discretion and confidentiality.
• Must be detail-oriented and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
• Honest, reliable and trustworthy.
• Willing to adhere to and implement the IRC rules.
• Good inter-personal interpersonal.
Job application procedure
Please note: Deadline for receiving applications is July 1st 2021.
The IRC and IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
All staff, regardless of role, are required to create a culture of client responsiveness by requesting and using client feedback data to make decisions. In addition, all staff are expected to demonstrate inclusiveness when making programmatic decisions and working with clients, partners and colleagues from diverse backgrounds. You can read more about the IRC’s commitment to client responsiveness here: https://www.rescue.org/resource/client-responsiveness-introduction-and-faq
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Click here To Apply Now