Job Title: Psychosocial Counselor (PSC)
Number of Positions: Four (4)
Contract Type: 1 Year Fixed Term renewable based on performance and Funds availability
Duty Station: Gulu with frequent travel to Odek and Awach in Omoro &Gulu District Respectively or Palabek in Lamwo district
Reporting to: Programme officer- Counselor
THRIVE Gulu is an indigenous community-based Organization with its offices located in Layibi Techo. Our vision for Northern Uganda is one in which all people are treated with dignity, live in safety, and have the chance to contribute to the good of the community. THRIVE’s signature psycho-social support services help women and men heal the invisible wounds of trauma through mental health counseling, psycho education, economic empowerment, adult literacy and gender-based violence reduction. THRIVE offers group, family and individual counseling services, training of lay counselors, radio call-in programmes and the facilitation of mobile mental health clinics.
THRIVE Gulu has a partnership with Comic Relief = Dance+ Therapy for 2 years based in Gulu with frequent travels to Odek. Save the Children=NORAD for 5 years (2019-2023) based in Gulu with frequent travels to Odek and Awach. Trocaire providing MHPSS to south Sudanese Refugees in its final year 2021in based Palabek kal, Lamwo field office.
It’s based on this premise that THRIVE Gulu currently seeks to recruit highly competent, dynamic, and experienced individuals with experiences in both development and humanitarian response to fill the position of Psychosocial Counselors.
To help individuals, family, and groups to improve their wellbeing, alleviate distress and enhance coping skills. .
Responsibilities and duties:
• As a member of the Counseling Team, implement program interventions related to the following: individual / family / group counseling; mobile mental health clinics; mental health radio call-in programs; psycho education and sensitization; psycho-social support programs for adolescent girls; school interventions; lay counselor/PSWs training and supervision; follow-up of clients with critical cases; frequent field movement sometimes in remote areas; and other such programs to be determined
• Maintain consistent and accurate records for all counseling activities, respecting confidentiality
• Utilize THRIVE psycho-social assessments, clinical case management records, and individual care plans
• Demonstrate sound understanding of all counseling programs, including programs operating under specific grants to which one is assigned
• Remain up to date on best practices in counseling psychology
• Work collegially with individuals from other organizations, including mental health referral networks
• Receive monthly clinical supervision from the Senior Counseling Manager, and participate in monthly Counseling Team meetings
• Assist the Senior Counseling Manager with writing reports on counseling and psycho-social support services, including evidence-based data on program impact and outcomes
• Participate in making work plans, as well as quarterly, bi-annual, and annual report writing
Qualification and skills
• The candidate should possess a minimum qualification of bachelor’s degree in Counseling Psychology, Community Psychology, Social Sciences, or another related field.
• Background knowledge and Passion for Music & Dance, PSS recreational activities with children is added advantage
• Exceptional understanding of psychological trauma, mental distress, and behavioral/emotional disorders
• Proven experience counseling individual clients, conducting group counseling, offering psychoeducation classes, and crisis intervention
• Knowledge and Practice of group therapy using the CVT manual as well as knowledge of the Judith Herman’ s Trauma Recovery Model is added advantage
• Sensitivity to individuals with diverse backgrounds, health conditions, and family situations
• Outstanding skills in written and spoken English and ability to speak Acholi
• Ability and license to ride a motorcycle with valid riding permit.
• Working knowledge of office equipment and computers
• Willingness to travel to remote areas, including occasional overnight requirements
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively under minimum supervision
• Members of the Uganda Counseling Association is added advantaged and must consistently remain an active member of the UCA.
• Clean criminal record with Police and any other security agent
By submitting your Application for this position, you agreed to THRIVE Gulu’s ZERO Tolerance to:
• Sexual Harassment, Exploitation, Abuse and Child Abuse
• Child Protection and Safeguarding commitment
Counselors are hired at Hiring Level 3. Salary is based on education and experience. Starting salary range is between 1,205,280/ and 1,249,920/ + medical benefit, Christmas package, group personal accident insurance.
Job application procedure
Applicants should familiarize themselves with THRIVE Gulu by visiting the website: www.thrivegulu.org Applicants who meet the specified job requirements should prepare the following package: 1) application letter; 2) Curriculum Vitae; 3) copies of academic transcripts and certificates; 4) telephone and email contact; and 5) contact information for three (3) referees. Valid National Identification, indicating your preference Project.
NB: Successful Applicants may be posted in any project.
All applications should be addressed to;
P.O. Box 461, Gulu
And sent by e-mail to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 8th January 2021 by 12:00 pm