The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment, Global Health Security, Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAPcertified IDI Core Lab) and Outreach.
Job Title : District Laboratory Technologist (1)
Vacancy Code : DLTX01
Classification : Full time
Reporting : Regional Laboratory Services Coordinator
Duty Station : Moyo Coordination Office
This is a full-time job that may involve regular travel to selected facilities as an individual or in a mobile team to build the capacity of local government personnel.
The personnel will work closely with the district counter parts, DHT, field office coordinator and the regional lab services coordinator to strengthen lab services following quality management principles while supporting labs attain and maintain international accreditation with uninterrupted service provision..
In collaboration with the District and IDI Laboratory Outreach services, will assist in:
• Building capacity to provide Quality HIV testing services (rapid and collection of pediatric DNA PCR specimens) in facilities, Point of care testing points, CBO and communities in general.
• Building capacity to provide laboratory tests required for diagnosis of opportunistic infections and monitoring patients enrolled onto ART, including pregnant women (CD4 Cell Counts, Chemistry Tests, Hematology Tests, Viral Load, CrAg, HIV recency testing and HIV DRT).
• Building capacity to provide laboratory tests (TB smear microscopy using florescent microscopy, ZN, GeneXpert and collection of specimens for TB DST) required for diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of TB patients.
• Adapting National standards and Maturation System based on the principles of Lab Quality Management System (document and records control, Organization, infrastructure, equipment, sample collection and management, process control (QA/QC), biosafety, internal audit, Customer care management, process improvement and information management) and link the ISO standards to the Laboratory system strengthening Program.
• Developing/ strengthen a QA/QA system (internal quality control system and external quality control system and standard operating procedures and manuals) and ensuring their use in selected facilities
• Establishing and monitoring of an Equipment Management and Maintenance Systems in targeted Laboratories.
• Supporting project supported sites to establish, monitor and maintain a robust Supply Chain Management System. That ensures timely ordering of lab supplies, verification of deliveries from national ware houses, redistribution to avoid service interruption and any losses due to expiries.
• Any other duties as may be assigned by management.
Minimum qualifications and experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory sciences/ Technology obtained from a recognized institution.
• Registration with the Allied Health Professionals Council and renewed annual practicing license.
• At least two years’ experience working in a Lab that implements Quality Management System in its Operations.
• Experience in examining patient specimens following facility established Standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Experience in mentorship of fellow laboratorians especially in the public and PNFPs/PFP facilities in areas of quality management system.
• Experience while coordinating district leadership
• Training in Quality management systems, bio risk management and ISO15189:2012.
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact productively and accurately with other team members
• Self-motivated, innovative and capable of meeting deadlines
• Experience of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
• Able to work in a team with good interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
• Ability to compile good quality activity reports and presentations of findings
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Experience Requirements: Two years’
Job application procedure
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate.
Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send their CVs, which should include details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address not later than 27th, October 2019. (Email your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s save the environment).
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached
as one document
4. Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject line of your email
5. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute – IDI Knowledge Centre,
Makerere University Main Campus
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda