Driver – RISE. Ref. No: GIZ – RISE/D/0122007
Location: Arua – Uganda
The European Union (EU) and the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) have commissioned the Gesellschaft fϋr Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) with the programme “Response to Increased Demand on Government Service and Creation of Economic Opportunities in Uganda (RISE)”. The main objective of the program is the improvement of the inclusive socio-economic development of refugees and the host population within six districts of Northern Uganda, namely Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi, Terego, Adjumani and Moyo. The programme combines the support to the district local government structures, efforts to create income and employment and the support for agricultural activities. The main partners are the Ministry of Local Government and the District Local Governments. The technical cooperation measure takes a multi-level and multi-actor approach.
Number of vacancies: 1
Sector: Civil society
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Excellent knowledge of the English language.
• Language skills in Madi and/or Lugbara are a must.
• Discipline and punctuality.
• Resilience and patience.
• Familiarity with West Nile region, specifically Arua, Moyo and Adjumani.
• Familiarity with the location of Refugee Settlements in the West Nile Region.
• Ensures unrestricted availability of vehicles at all times and reports restrictions immediately.
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
• Willingness to travel within the country.
The Driver will be in charge of:
• Safely and responsibly performing all official travel using official vehicles.
• Regularly servicing and looking after official vehicles.
• Taking account of all available information on road conditions, accessible routes and locations.
• Running official errands.
• Assisting with other office services.
• The Driver performs the following tasks
• Provides passenger transport in an official car for office, project or programme staff, official visitors and guests.
• Runs errands for the project, programme or office, e.g. sending letters and messages, paying bills and buying smaller quantities of office supplies.
• Helps with transporting goods.
• Completes the vehicle log correctly and conscientiously in accordance with GIZ standards.
• Cleans the interior and exterior of the vehicle(s) regularly
• Checks oil, water, brakes and brake liquid, tyre pressure, battery levels and the entire vehicle, monthly or every 5,000 km (whichever is first), headlights, brakes, bodywork for dents etc.
• Is responsible for the project vehicle documents and their good condition, keeping a vehicle log and recording monthly maintenance.
• Calculates monthly petrol, oil and lubricant consumption for the daily cash fund and for forwarding monthly vouchers to cost accounting.
• Reports need for service and carries out minor repairs.
• Immediately reports all involvement of the project or office vehicle in accidents, including minor accidents, damage, loss or theft of vehicle fittings.
Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
• Assists other colleagues as needed in the project, programme or office if there is no travel pending, carries out other office work on request
• Appropriate appearance and attire (friendly manner with all passengers)
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Does not use, at any time, the car for his/her own private purposes. Such misuse of the vehicle is considered a serious misconduct and will immediately lead to a warning and may result in dismissal.
• Uganda Certificate of Education (“O” Level).
• Holds a valid driver’s licence.
• Certificate in defensive driving.
• Certificate in mechanics and vehicle maintenance
Details of experience
• At least 5 years’ work experience as a driver with references.
• No major accidents in the past 3 years
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to email@example.com. Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 13th February 2022. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2022-02-13