Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is part of the Lutheran World Federation Department for World Service (LWF-DWS), an international humanitarian and development agency. LWF Uganda works to reduce people’s vulnerability, supporting them to realize their potential, to build on their assets, and to respond to their own problems and needs. LWF Uganda is currently operating in Pader, Kitgum, Lamwo, Adjumani, Moyo Luuka, Kamwenge, and Kampala Districts: Please check https://www.lutheranworld.org for more details
Job Purpose/ Summary:
Under the guidance of the of the logistics officer, the driver is responsible for Operation and maintenance of LWF Ambulance and ensuring the safety and security of authorized passengers, cargo, equipment and tools on board .
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
• Ensure the assigned vehicle and its accessories are kept in good condition (log books, jacks, wheel spanners, spare tyres, etc) in good working order and clean condition and makes a thorough daily check of its mechanical condition (e.g. battery, fuel, water, oil, brake fluid, tyre pressure, etc.), and promptly reports any fault, damage or loss;
• Timely respond to transport requests and transport sick or injured individuals to medical facilities for treatment while avoid sudden motions detrimental to patients in line with the Lutheran World Federation fleet management policy and Uganda Road Safety Act.
• Place patients on stretcher and loads stretcher into ambulance and as well change soiled linen on stretcher in line with MoH related guidelines for ambulance.
• Administer first aid as needed and report facts concerning accident or emergency to hospital authority in line with MoH related guidelines for first aid patient management & care.
• Make accountability for funds spent on driving operations (fuel and service done on the vehicle) and Maintaining trip movement records in line with Lutheran World Federation Fleet Management Policy.
• Always driver at the responsible speed as permitted by the Laws of Uganda (respect for speed limits) while on the road and ensure safety of those on board.
• Ensure that all trips covered are official and approved prior by the district and UNFPA focal personnel at all times.
• Ensure that trips covered are maternal relation and incase of exceptions, approval should be sought from LWF.
• Checks regularly and ensures that vehicles have valid motor third party insurance.
• Monitors the vehicle fuel gauge constantly, and report any need for re-fuelling. Ensure the vehicle is refuelled during evening time to maximise time for ambulance operation.
• Flexibility in terms of working hours where sometimes you will be expected to work past normal working hours
• Ensure every trip is documented in the vehicle log book, particularly departure/arrival times and mileage readings, as well as vehicle repairs/service and fuel and lubricants consumption, and reports the due service mileage in good time;
• Complies strictly with the official highway code and traffic rules and regulations while driving, as well as the relevant LWF policies and procedures;
• Conveys staff, visitors and any other authorised personnel on official duty as well as program equipment and materials in a safe and secure manner;
• Ensures all vehicle doors and windows are securely locked after working hours, prior to handing over the keys to the logistics officer/manger or at the nearest central police station while on over mission.
• Verifies repair/service done by a mechanic on return of vehicle from a garage to confirm all the required parts are replaced;
• Promptly reports to the logistics officer and/or the police all accidents and problems encountered while on duty;
• Ensure the ambulance is well equipped with all the relevant medical items at all times.
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required:
• Ordinary – level Certificate of education or equivalent.
• A valid Driving licence for classes B, CM, DL, DM etc.
• Knowledge of basic motor vehicle mechanics are essential.
• Certificate in defensive driving is desirable.
• At least two (2) years Driving an ambulance in a reputable firm, public body or NGO.
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
• High integrity, hardworking, courteous, dependable, punctual, tidy and well-groomed.
• Willing to work long hours in challenging circumstances when required.
• Knowledge of one of the local languages Example
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
Candidates who are interested in the above positions should submit an updated CV and application letter ( in English), giving a day time telephone contact and email addresses of 3 (three) work related referees only through our recruitment email email@example.com .
Please use the full job title of the position you are applying for as the subject line;